You’ve been bodybuilding for a few years now. It seems you have caught a case of epididymitis, and you’re starting to connect the dots to your new hobby. Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?
What is Epididymitis? – And Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?
Epididymitis is the inflammation of the coiled tube of the testicles where sperm is stored and carried, according to the MayoClinic.
Additionally, the MayoClinic states Epididymitis is usually only caused by a few factors. However, males of any age can get epididymitis.
My general advice, if you feel pain or other problems like you are seeing symptoms of erectile dysfunction, see a doctor.
How Do People Usually Get Epididymitis?
While you’re thinking, “Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?”, let’s rule out the normal ways first.
According to the MayoClinic, there are lots and lots of ways to get epididymitis.
- STIs: Sexually Transmitted Infections like Gonorrhea or Chlamydia usually cause epididymitis.
- General Infections: General infections near the site such as UTIs can cause epididymitis. Additionally, any infection even the flu could cause it, but that’s incredibly rare.
- Urine Going Backwards: Straining or heavy lifting can cause urine to go backwards in the epididymis.
- Trauma: Trauma near the region can cause this as well.
While there are many ways to get the disease, we will only focus on the heavy lifting part. My general advice, if you feel pain or other problems, see a doctor. If you’re having unprotected sexual intercourse and worry, see a doctor. For the rest of this article, let us discuss the heavy lifting part.
So, Heavy Lifting CAN Cause Epididymitis?
According to Harvard, many cases linked to epididymitis have cited heavy lifting as a problem.
They say that when you are doing heavy lifting, it puts immense strain on your bladder. This immense strain on your bladder can push urine back into your epididymis. This causes a severe chemical irritation, that causes epididymitis.
So, to answer the question Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting? Yes! However, the answer is slightly more complicated than that.
It’s Not Always Epididymitis
The reason this question is so complicated is because it is not always epididymitis. Additionally, Heavy lifting can cause loads of other problems before it even seems to be Epididymitis.
Furthermore, According to OSHA.gov, there are tons of diseases/injuries that can be caused by heavy lifting. This means you may not have Epididymitis, it could be a wide arrange of other diseases!
Heavy Lifting Can Cause These Diseases:
- Back Sprains
- Muscle Pulls
- Wrist Injuries
- Elbow Injuries
- Spinal Injuries
So is it really Epididymitis? Likely not. Consider where your pain is coming from. If your pain is centered in the pelvic region, you may still have to rule out a muscle pull. However, I would still recommend seeing a doctor always, even if the pain is small. You never know.
What Exercises Will Cause The Epididymitis? – Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting? Or light lifting?
After all of this, you’re likely pondering what you need to do to avoid epididymitis. What exercises will cause epididymitis?
What Exercises Will Cause it?
Epididymitis as earlier was stated to be caused by straining or heavy pressure forcing urine back into the epididymis. While we answered, “Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting”, remember, it doesn’t always have to be heavy.
We can likely assume most lifts that exert extreme pressure in the pelvic region could cause epididymitis.
However, this does not mean doing these exercises will guarantee you get it, but these are more likely than others to give it.
Exercises to Avoid
- Squats – Squatting is number one on this list. You are putting hundreds of pounds of weight on your back and forcing your pelvis to lift it all. Imagine how much pressure sits on your pelvis during midway through the squat. Connecting every single muscle to push 225 pounds off repeatedly. If you love squatting heavy, and think you have epididymitis. See a doctor!
- Deadlifts – Deadlifts are number two on this list. Your pelvis is essentially stabilizing every single on your body to lift hundreds of pounds off the ground. All that pressure, essentially if you hit a 1RM recently, could cause epididymitis.
- Hip Thrusts – Hip Thrusts are number three on this list. Undoubtedly they are most likely to cause it, many people don’t do them. I don’t think this one needs much explanation. Not only are you are putting literally hundreds of pounds directly on your pelvis, and forcing your hips up. If Hip Thrusts are your favorite workout regiment, this may cause your epididymitis. See a doctor if worried!
This list is not an excuse to skip leg day. Above all, if you are someone at risk for epididymitis, you may want to skip these exercises.
Additionally, consider if you are at risk for epididymitis, do your genetics have a history or have you had STDs in the past?
Can Epidymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting? Of course, but epididymitis may also be increased by your genetics, so be aware!
How Do I Know If I Have It? – Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?
Okay, you’re probably sweating at your compiter desk right now. You’re wondering if you have epidymitis.
Chances are, you probably don’t have epididymitis at all. Sure, you’re pondering, “Can Epididymitis Be Caused by Heavy Lifting” and you happen to lift heavy! Importantly, epididymitis is very rare.
Here are some symptoms of Epididymitis according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Swollen/red/blemished manhood.
- It hurts to pee or you have to go urinate often.
- Blood in sperm. (Now I see why my fanbase doesn’t want it!)
- Pain in lower pelvic area
If you meet many of these symptoms, see your primary care physician immediately!
How Can I Remedy my Epididymitis?
Okay, so maybe you did have this strange illness. Lets talk about how to remedy it in the meantime.
Every guy knows getting hit in the balls hurts, but an infection has to be worse. Here’s a list of what you can do to help yourself in the meantime.
- REST!! I cannot say this enough! Sleep is where your body really heals. Without sleep you will have to deal with your problem longer.
- Lie down. Okay, you might not like sleep. But please for your own good, don’t put unnecessary weight on it. Lie down on your bed with your manhood elevated! This will help some of that pain. You might also fall asleep and that will help in the long run!
- Stop lifting temporarily. Please put the gun down, its only temporary. I know I’m not exactly preaching to the choir, this IS a bodybuilding blog afterall. Furthermore, if you try to lift before recovery, you will be out longer. You may re-injure or delay recovery. If you end up back in the hospital for weeks, they probably won’t let you lift.
Got it, you don’t have epididymitis. Let us discuss how to prevent it. Otherwise you may be reading this article in sadness in just a few weeks! And even though we have answered, “Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?”, remember other things cause it too!
- I mentioned earlier epididymitis is primarily caused by STIs. If you are at risk, try abstinence or using a condom.
Avoiding Heavy Lifting
- The truth is you may have to avoid heavy lifting. The best way for you to this is simple. Avoid hitting 1 rep maxes, and focus on lighter weight and better form.
Avoiding Long Periods of Sitting
- Sitting for a long period of time is not good. Especially if you have epididymitis! Maybe consider buying a standing desk!
Conclusion – Can Epididymitis Be Caused by Heavy Lifting?
Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting? Unfortunately, yes. Additionally, we learned it is caused by much more. Hopefully I helped you understand what exercises you NEED to avoid and what to start doing. If you think you have epididymitis, see a doctor immediately!
Tell me in the comments, have you ever dealt with epididymitis? How did you fix it? Do you know what caused it?
1 thought on “Can Epididymitis Be Caused By Heavy Lifting?”
Wonderful article! That is the kind of information that are meant to be shared across the net.
Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this submit upper!
Come on over and consult with my web site . Thanks