It seems that bodybuilding overnight oats are the new trend emerging in the bodybuilding world. And who am I to hate on them? Bodybuilding overnight oats are tasty, require less work and time to make than normal oatmeal, and can definitely be convenient as you can take them anywhere.
And for what it’s worth, I wrote an extensive post detailing how powerful oatmeal is before a workout. I recommend you read it because these bodybuilding overnight oats can seriously make a crazy impact on your workouts.
So, let’s get into 10 tasty bodybuilding overnight oats recipes!
What Are Bodybuilding Overnight Oats?
So what exactly are bodybuilding overnight oats? Since it’s a new trend in the industry, I figured I would give a very short explanation about what it’s about.
When you want to have oatmeal, you usually just can’t eat the oats raw or just mix in some water and eat it. You end up cooking the oatmeal, usually by microwaving it or something similar. This makes the oats tasty and somewhat edible.
From what I understand, when you submerge the overnight oats in a liquid such as milk or water- the oats “cook”. They don’t get heated up or anything, but the oats absorb the liquid which ends up softening them and making them good to eat.
So this is nice for many reasons.
Firstly, you don’t have to cook the oats anymore. If you want to wake up and eat right away without spending all your time cooking oatmeal, this solves that problem!
You basically just leave these in the fridge overnight and eat them in the morning, hence the name- bodybuilding overnight oats.
And if you’ve read my dirty bulking guide, you’ll know I have a sweet tooth. So let’s cover some of the tastiest, healthiest, and just overall best picks for bodybuilding overnight oats.
Ingredients Needed for Overnight Oats
Okay, well before we get into the rest of this post. Let’s just quickly discuss the ingredients you’ll need for any of these recipes.
I’m not going to make you go and drive 5 hours south to get some special ingredient or anything. So this should be a fairly basic list that you can pick up at your local grocery store if you need to.
Otherwise, most people should have this stuff at their house. (I don’t know why I say that though, I didn’t have any of these ingredients)
- Oats: Obviously, we need oats. It’s in the name bodybuilding overnight oats! You can go with whatever you really want here.
Milk: Some recipes require milk, some don’t. Overall, you’re probably going to need milk one way or another here. And I HOPE you have milk at your house, considering milk is one of the greatest foods for gaining muscle.
- A ton of people prefer using Almond Milk, but I personally don’t like it. But it’s up to you!
- If you want a milk that’s lactose free, read my Fairlife milk review.
- Greek Yogurt: Again, some recipes require greek yogurt and some don’t. If you’re looking for my recommendations on Greek Yogurt, check out my Chobani Flips review. (Is Greek Yogurt Good for Bodybuilding?)
- Fruits like bananas or strawberries (or any berries). Weird grammar I used there. But a lot of these will call for certain fruits. You can obviously substitute it if you’d like. I’ve never been a big fig guy but you can definitely replace that with like blueberries.
- Protein powder: I, as always, recommend Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder as it actually tastes like really good. But, you can use whatever flavor/brand/whatever you like.
- Just expect peanut butter/chocolate chips. Again, not all recipes use it. But I see a common theme in even recipes outside of this website that use peanut butter and chocolate chips. They’re super cheap and super tasty. (read: Is Peanut Butter good before bed when bodybuilding?)
How To Make Bodybuilding Overnight Oats
Okay, look, I’m 18- but I still have no idea how to do this. Sure, it literally as simple as:
- putting everything in a container
- mixing it up
- shaking it
- leaving it in the fridge overnight
- eating it in the morning
But, still, I have included an excellent quick video showing how to make these. Because I’ll be honest, I’ve looked at it quite a few times.
Disclaimer: I put HUGE Portion Sizes
As you know, we HAVE to EAT BIG, TO GET BIG. So, many of these will have HUGE portion sizes.
So if you’re trying to like eat normal, like half the number. But if you’re hitting up The Rich Piana 8 Hour Arm Workout (like I did) and need a serious snack for the gym, use these sizes.
#10 – My Favorite Bodybuilding Overnight Oats, Reese’s Cups
I LOVE Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. They’re my Achilles heel of having a good diet. I literally cannot resist these things.
Plus, they have a tiny bit of protein in them, so…they’re ‘good’ for bodybuilding.
Here’s the recipe:
- Peanut butter cups (put as many as you’d like LOL)
- 1 cup oats. (any)
- 1/2cup-1cup of milk.
- 1 scoop of protein powder.
- 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter.
Mix that all in, toss it in the fridge and seal it tight, then enjoy in the morning. (Sometimes I’ll eat it after my workout in the morning, but it’s all up to you what you want to do!)
#9 – Just Normal Overnight Oats
Here’s something simple for a change. We don’t always need fancy complicated recipes.
How about just having ‘normal’ overnight oats?
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of milk.
- Scoop of protein powder
- Put in whatever you want.
Not all oatmeal has to be extravagant or crazy! Just as Ian said, ‘BUCKWHEAT’- and that works for him. And he is a D1 football star.
#8 – Strawberry Shortcake (Maybe not the cake?)
Alright I’ll be honest. I used to hate strawberry shortcake growing up, now it is like my secret addiction.
I cannot put it down. There have been multiple times I have been kicked out of family gatherings (and not just my family, my ex-girlfriends) for eating too much.
So, now I have a way to fix this addiction and hopefully make amends with her family.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2cup-3/4 cups of milk
- Load up some strawberries (dependent on each person)
- Put some pound cake/sweet cake in there.
- A scoop of protein powder (probably best for like strawberry flavor here)
- **This one I recommend putting some greek yogurt in to make it more ‘cakelike’ but it’s up to you.
- Mix it up.
- Refrigerate, SEAL TIGHTLY, consume in the morning.
#7 – Chocolate Chip
I LOVE Chocolate. I am the chocolate man from chocolate land.
Fun story, I almost broke up with one of my girlfriends because she DID NOT like chocolate. (okay kidding) ((not)) Anyways this ended up with me getting with a girl that really liked chocolate, and she ruined my life. (not kidding about that one)
TMI? Anyways, the chocolate chip bodybuilding overnight oats is a surefire way to wake up in the morning happy and ready to take on the work out.
Or perhaps even a post-workout meal to get your energy back up for class. Regardless, it will definitely taste good.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 – 3/4cups of Chocolate Milk. (might make it too chocolatey, go at your own regard)
- Scoop of protein powder.
- Chocolate chips (put as much as you’d like)
- You may add peanut butter if you’d like
- Add chocolate drizzle/sauce for it.
#6 – Mixed Berry Overnight Oats
This one is just a simple classic. It ain’t nothing crazy like my peanut butter cup special, but, it works. And again, it’s simple.
- Toss in 1 cup of oats.
- Give it about 1/2cup of milk.
- Scoop of protein powder, probably vanilla here, but if you’ve got some weird mixed berry blend, why not try it. Or even strawberry/blueberry flavor works here.
- **This is one of those I recommend you toss in some greek yogurt.
- Mix in the berries you like.
- Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries.
Very simple again, but it works!
#5 – The Brownie VEKHAYN Special Bodybuilding Overnight Oats
Let me admit it, I worked at Dairy Queen when I was younger. Nothing bad about it, but it’s important for this: I was an ice cream KING.
So I had to steal some inspiration, because the lord knows Dairy Queen wasn’t exactly lining my pockets with millions.
Here’s the brownie VEKHAYN special bodybuilding overnight oats.
Now eat this at your own discretion. I love chocolate, way too much. I love brownies, and anything involved with it. Feel free to mix and match the ingredients, or even change the chocolate to vanilla.
- 1 scoop of oats.
- 1/2 cup of milk.
- 1/2 cup of vanilla greek yogurt.
- 1 brownie. (again, pick the size you’d like)
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder.
- Chocolate drizzle.
- IF YOU’RE FEELING CRAZY, ADD PEANUT BUTTER.
Perfect. Absolute perfection.
#4 – Nutella + Banana Perfection
My sister is a huge nutella fan for no reason. I’ve never liked it, but she has had some super weird obsession with it and banana.
But I realized, this is actually like a PERFECT combination for the bodybuilding overnight oats.
So, here it is:
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of milk
- As much nutella as you’d like
- Banana chips (your choice here)
- Scoop of protein powder (I’ve seen nutella flavored protein powders, but I’d recommend vanilla here)
- I’d also recommend greek yogurt here, but it’s up to you.
#3 – Pumpkin Pie Bodybuilding Overnight Oats
My favorite food in the whole world is pumpkin pie. I don’t really know why either to be honest. I think it’s because my birthday is at the end of October, but furthermore, the food is AWESOME.
So I heard some radical ideas you could put pumpkin pie in these things and turns out it’s actually really good.
- 1 Cup of Oats
- **This is more of a greek yogurt type of of overnight oats.
- Scoop of protein powder (They usually have pumpkin pie protein powder, but some people hate it, some people love it)
- Pumpkin pie
ENJOY. And thanksgiving was never the same.
#2 – Mint Chocolate Chip
I hate mint chocolate chip. Hate it with a passion, I really hate it. I do. But my dad growing up LOVED mint chocolate chip, and so did my mom.
That got me thinking- THIS WOULD ACTUALLY BE INCREDIBLE. Mint chocolate chip in the overnight oats is actually pretty simple to make (way easier than it sounds) and tastes great.
Sometimes the oats can be a little weird, and the mint chocolate chip can cut that out. So if you’re not a “big oatmeal guy” (-Carsten) you can definitely reap the benefits while negating the taste.
- 1 cup of oats.
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt.
- There’s a lot of ways you can do this. Some recommend adding peppermint extract, I personally use a creme de menthe mix and it works well for me as it’s easy to mix in with the rest.
- Chocolate chips!
- Scoop of protein powder (mint, chocolate, vanilla)
#1 – Cheesecake Bodybuilding Overnight Oats
OKAY. I also don’t like cheesecake that much. But even I can agree that cheesecake bodybuilding overnight oats is incredibly tasty and works really well.
Just saying ahead of time though, this can run a little expensive and should be more of a treat than anything.
But think about it, cheesecake overnight oats is just like heaven highkey.
- 1 cup of oats.
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt.
- Cheesecake (as much as you want again)
- Protein powder (I’ve seen cheesecake, but maybe vanilla works or whatever you want)
Conclusion of Bodybuilding Overnight Oats
Look, here’s the facts:
Bodybuilding overnight oats give a ton of calories and protein right away to jumpstart your workout in the morning, replenish after your workout, or even as a midnight snack.
Point is, they’re tasty, great, and easy to make. So I recommend everybody tries some. There are also great health benefits from the oats that really can’t be matched with other foods.
So get out there and get “cooking!”.